Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First Listen: The Boxers

I was stumbling around on Facebook band pages looking for some new music to listen to. I saw that the Illinois-based band The Orwells endorsed a fellow Chicago band called The Boxers. Since I have been recently obsessed with The Orwells I knew that I would have to give The Boxers'  album a listen.



Take a look at their album, Manorisms, and listen to my favorite songs, "Swamp Drank" and "Dirty's Girls." 

"Swamp Drank" offers a pop-rock sound that I found pretty catchy from my first listen. Vocalist Duncan Lee offers a sound similar to Julian Casablancas' from The Strokes and the guitars sound like The Beach Boys. I think it is really awesome when a band pulls from influences from many time periods and turns it into their own exclusive sound.

"Dirty's Girls" clearly exhibits some of their influences such as classic bands such as The Beatles to contemporaries like Deerhunter (also one of my favorites!) This song is a slow indie song with a cool guitar solo and great bass line sure to capture the hearts of any alt-rock fan.

It is great to listen to a band in their early days and hear such a creative meld of instruments and lyrics. The Boxers have a wide range of influences which gives depth to their album. Manorisms can be downloaded for only $5 at the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment