Saturday, August 17, 2013

Rock and Restaurants Does Boston: The Friendly Toast Restaurant Review

After a fabulous summer in DC I am back to Massachusetts (home) for a few weeks before the school year starts. To start off my vacation my parents and I went to The Friendly Toast in Cambridge, MA's Kendall Square. The Friendly Toast is an interesting restaurant with decor from the 1950s and a lot to look at while you are waiting. My wait was about 35 minutes which wasn't too bad and speaks to how popular the restaurant is on a Saturday morning. 



The Friendly Toast's menu is as unique as the restaurant's decor, making for some difficult decisions. Luckily, when I dine with my parents we always get three different dishes and so we can try as many items as possible. I decided to order the "Drunkard's French Toast" with a creamy Grand Marnier & raspberry sauce. They also offer your choice of breads, so I opted for their oatmeal bread. My Mom ordered the "King Cakes," which came with this description "two mini pancakes with bananas and chocolate chips inside and peanut butter in between; encircled by a side of bacon or vegetarian bacon, but Elvis will roll in his grave." I loved their witty humor, especially their definition of mini pancakes. My Dad decided on the "Pumpkin Pancakes" with Raisinettes.


All of these dishes sounded great on the menu and they were amazing! I love when a restaurant can take something as typical as french toast or pancakes and turn it into a unique dish you can't get anywhere else. To say we were stuffed was an understatement. I really enjoyed my french toast because I love raspberries and paired with the orange-flavored liqueur was such a good combination. The "King Cakes" were so rich and the peanut butter melted in between the cakes; which gave it a frosting-like consistency. 



Also, once seated the service was pretty quick and our server was very friendly. I would definitely return to The Friendly Toast when I come home again. I will just make sure that I do not have any plans for lunch and make sure to have a light dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment