Monday, August 12, 2013

SKATERS and The Orwells @ Schuba's Tavern August 3rd 2013

Each year that I go to Lollapalooza I make sure that I go to one after show because I get to check out a Chicago club that I haven't been to before as well as get to see a few more bands in a more intimate setting, compared to the larger stages in Grant Park. The SKATERS and The Orwells concert jumped out as the best combination of bands and I definitely do not regret my aftershow decision.

Schuba's was cool, it was small and the show had sold out. SKATERS started off the show with a lot of good songs to get the crowd ready for The Orwells. "I Want to Dance (But I Don't Know How" got the crowd tapping their feet and many were even singing along. I also enjoyed their outfits, a mix of ripped jeans, Hawaiian shirts, and punk band t-shirts. 

The Orwells graciously made their way to the stage by pushing right through the crowd. If it wasn't already hot enough in the small tavern, the audience got a little bit closer, to each other and the stage. One of the greatest things about seeing The Orwells in Chicago is that they are playing their home city. From the suburbs of Chicago, Elmhurst to be exact, and the guys have a lot of experience playing at local clubs. They also have quite the fan base which is always great to see because it always makes the concerts more fun when everyone is singing along. Right from the start the crowd loved it because the band started off with the favorite, "Mallrats (La la la)." The pit formed and Schuba's became a sweaty mess of twenty-year olds and spilled beer, but would you expect anything less for a punk show?

Some of my favorite songs of the night include the pop-punk song "In My Bed" and "Other Voices," which remind me a lot of the Strokes. The Orwells (in various interviews) explain that their influences include the early years of Jack White when he was involved with the White Stripes, The Strokes, and The Stooges. When the Orwells played their Lollapalooza set the next day they closed with the Stooges cover, "I Wanna Be Your Dog," which was electrifying. I've heard many words to describe an Orwells concert: astonishing, energizing and enticing. If that doesn't sum it up I don't know what would. I can't wait to catch them on their fall tour with FIDLAR. I hardly find tours where I like both bands and I think that the Orwells and FIDLAR is an unbeatable combination. 





No comments:

Post a Comment