Friday, June 28, 2013

Hill Country Barbecue Restaurant Review

Address and Neighborhood: 410 Seventh Street NW Washington, DC 20004 in Penn Quarter/Chinatown

Price Range: $$ (Typical entrees range from $10 to $15)

Overall rating: 3/5 for Service

4.5/5 Food Quality and Overall Value
I have been told by many friends to go to Hill Country for great barbecue, which is not something you often see in Washington. It is a unique restaurant with a rustic feel. You are given a meal ticket which gets stamped according to what you purchase: including drinks, meat, sides, and dessert. There is waitstaff service for beverages and dessert, but the rest of the meal is a market-style service. I brought my meal ticket to the counter and got brisket (my go-to BBQ meat) and cornbread with ancho honey butter.

I also ordered a glass of sweet tea, which had plenty of sugar. A quarter pound of brisket was plenty to fill me up and their two BBQ sauces (one sweet and the other spicy) added the perfect kick to the juicy brisket. I am also a sucker for cornbread and this did not disappoint. The ancho honey butter was the perfect mix of sugar and spice. Although I was too full for dessert (a rare occurrence), my friends tried the German chocolate cake and thought it was delicious. My meal total, with tax and tip, came to $18.00. The only issue I had was that the table service was slow, especially to receive our drinks and the check. But, the food was amazing and I would definitely return to try out the mac and cheese and coleslaw sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment