Monday, June 17, 2013

This Week's Playlist June 17th 2013

1. You've Got Your Money, I've Got My Soul- The Virginmarys

2. 3's & 7's- Queens of the Stone Age

3. Peace of Mind- Black Sabbath

4. Area 52- The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

5. Leather Jacket II- Deerhunter

6. Age of Reason- Black Sabbath

7. Heavy Krishna- JEFF the Brotherhood

Starting off my playlist is a song from The Virginmarys. Ally Dickaty, Matt Rose and Danny Dolan are from all the way across the pond in Macclesfield, England. In the spring they were on tour to support their album "King of Conflict" and this song struck me instantly. The lyrics alone set the tone that they are true musicians dedicated to their craft. But, wait for the solo to prove the technical skill this band brings. Oh, and did I mention that Slash has played gigs while wearing a Virginmarys t-shirt? If Slash's support is not reason enough to check them out I don't know what would be.

You might notice two Black Sabbath songs. Now, I was initially skeptical as I am sure any fan would be, but after three decades I thought that their new album "13" would have been generic or just not very good. However, "13" was more than just a pleasant surprise with "Peace of Mind" and "Age of Reason" being my favorite tracks because it sounds like their second studio album, "Paranoid."

Deerhunter is a great indie-punk band that will be on tour for their new album "Monomania" this fall. I am looking forward to seeing them at the 9:30 Club in September. This song is not like most Deerhunter songs, but rather full of feedback and more punk than indie. For all those reasons it is hands down my favorite song on the new album.

And finally, a song from the band I simply cannot give up listening too. Their live show put me in a trance and one of their older songs impresses me the most. JEFF takes you on a ride through three different parts of the song in only four and a half minutes, expressing their jam band qualities.

I have "This Week's Playlist" to my Spotify account. If you want easy access to all of my playlists follow me on Spotify and start listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment