Monday, July 15, 2013

This Week's Playlist July 15th 2013

1. Aqualung- Jethro Tull

2. Sunshine of Your Love- Jimi Hendrix (originally by Cream)

3. War Pigs- Black Sabbath

4. Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution- AC/DC

5. Little Wing- Jimi Hendrix

6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)- The Beatles

7. Dancing Days- Led Zeppelin

I absolutely love rock music from any time period and any sub-genre, from indie to grunge and I can't forget classic rock. The 1970s is, arguably, one of the best decades of rock music. I still remember when I "discovered" these bands for the first time in middle school and was amazed by their talent, raw sound, and classic lyrics.

Out of the bands that made it into my playlist this week I would say that I listen to Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin the most.

"Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream is a classic, and Jimi Hendrix does a great cover, bringing his feedback-filled guitar riffs and making someone else's song into his own. He turns the four minute song into a eight minutes of face-melting guitar solo time.

I know, I know "War Pigs" is a typical and one of the most famous Black Sabbath songs, but it is still the best in my opinion. Last year, when Black Sabbath played at Lollapalooza this song was absolutely amazing live. Tony Iommi can still play the guitar as well as he did years ago and Ozzy was still belting out the lyrics.

Although, this one Beatles song, "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" always struck me and took away from their typically pop sound. This song is approximately eight minutes long, but only has fourteen different words and a few ominous guitar riffs. Although it is dark and technically very repetitive it has a beautiful and unique twist, especially the way that the chords go from a beginning blues sound into a jazz-infused guitar sound later in the song. It also has an abrupt ending, making the whole song even more mysterious.


Thanks for listening to my classic rock playlist this week and look out for a Lollapalooza 2013 Lineup-inspired playlist next week
xx Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment