Monday, July 8, 2013

This Week's Playlist July 8th 2013

1. Thickfreakness- The Black Keys

2. Hello Operator- The White Stripes

3. Molly's Chambers- Kings of Leon

4. Readymade- The Red Hot Chili Peppers

5. Satellite- The Kills

6. Free Love- Cage the Elephant

7. Little Black Submarines- The Black Keys

This week I decided to dig deep through my iTunes account and find some of my favorite and most memorable songs over the past ten years. Many of these happen to be in my Top 25 Most Played songs playlist.

"Thickfreakness" was the first Black Keys' song that I ever heard because it happened to be on a compilation CD I bought before I even knew who The Black Keys were. It starts off with a roaring guitar lick, bringing listeners right into the duo's blues and distortion-heavy sound. "Little Black Submarines" is also on This Week's Playlist because it was one of the most moving songs I have ever heard live. There is a clear resemblance that the song has to Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" because of its intense crescendo. It transitions from a slow-ballad to the pure rock and roll sound that The Black Keys have mastered.

I remember hearing Cage the Elephant on WBRU (95.5) a great alternative-rock radio station in Providence, RI and stopping at Newbury Comics a few days later to buy their first album. "Free Love" struck me because it was loud on the album and even louder in concert. Their self-titled album brought a mix of funk and rock with a hint of Beck and a little Rage Against the Machine-like singing.

The Kills' album Blood Pressures is their most recent and my favorite. Alison Mosshart, lead singer in The Kills was also a member of Jack White's band The Dead Weather (another one of my favorite bands) and has the perfect smokey voice you want to hear on a rock album. This song deviates from their typical sound, but brings a slow reggae beat that sounds great with the guitar. Also, the song is pretty great live.

Thanks for reading and note I've thrown in a few links to some of my favorites from This Week's Playlist, so have a listen!
xx Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment